You must be aware that Selenium has been an open source tool mostly used for automating tests on web application in web browsers. It would be pertinent to mention that Selenium would be used only for testing of web application. You may not be able to make use of Selenium for testing desktop application or for that matter, any mobile application as well.
However, you should not fret, as several tools have been made available for testing of software along with different kinds of mobile applications. Let us delve on why Selenium has been the best option for the purpose.
Major benefits of using Selenium
The open-source feature of Selenium would ensure no licensing cost. It has been deemed the major benefit provided over other available testing tools. Several other reasons have been listed behind the ever growing popularity of Selenium.
- Ease of writing test scripts in different programming languages.
- Ease of carrying out tests in different operating systems.
- Ease of carrying out tests by using any browser.
- Ease of integrating with different tools for management of test cases along with report generation.
- Ease of integration for continuous testing needs.
Drawbacks of using Selenium
As with everything else, there would be several drawbacks associated with usage of Selenium for automation testing. Some of them have been listed below.
- Selenium could be used for testing of web application only. You may not be able to test desktop applications or other available software.
- Selenium does not offer guaranteed support. You would be required to pull on different customer communities made available online.
- Selenium does not offer testing ability on images.
- Selenium does not have native supporting aspect. However, it would be easy to overcome the issue through integration with different frameworks.
Need for software testing
It would all end up to software testing. The present world of technology has been entirely dominated by machines. It would not be wrong to suggest that their behavior has been controlled with software. However, the question to ponder upon would be whether the machines are behaving in the manner, as we would like them to? Do they work under our control everywhere and anywhere? You would require software testing to answer these queries. The success rate of software application would control the business growth. With a number of companies relying on internet, same could be said for web applications. When you enhance the power of Selenium, you would be requiring programming skills, as natural language interface would be offered to Selenium API.